Saturday, April 9, 2011

Argentina

Meandering from Vancouver through LA and Houston down to Buenos Aires - I was trying to picture what living in Buenos Aires would look and feel like, though I really had no idea. Stopping shortly in LA and having a conversation with a Mexican inter-terminal bus driver got me excited to reenter the Hispanic universe. Arriving in the airport and paying the suprise $100 Visa (only for Australia, USA and Canada) I exited into the perfect warm sunshine and was embraced warmly by Catalina after not meeting for 2 months. The bus gradually found its way into the centre of the huge colonial city where I marvelled at towering statues of soldiers on horesback and beautifully kept parks full of people relaxing and enjoying the sun. Finally, turning into Calle Ayacucho - in the very Metro Italiano suberb of Recoleta, I was impressed by the bustling narrow streets dominated by independant specialty food stores, ice cream and coffee shops and street vendors selling everything from flowers to pirated dvds. Inside Cata´s apartment block, up the old caged elevator to the 2nd storey terraced apartment, I was welcomed in Spanish, kissed and hugged and treated to my first of many delicious meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment