Thursday, June 14, 2012

Class



The buses are real dilapidated, noisy, hectic, dangerous as hell and kind of funny
One of the kids playing a song for the birthday boy
Cruisy lefts on a small day


Papa relleno (30 cents) from the tuckshop - fried potato with chicken inside - deliiiiish!


Reflecting on my time in Huanchaco, is like remembering a really good movie. My experience seemed surreal and one I'll never forget. It is a little town on the coast with a super consistent and fun wave rite on its' doorstep, the streets are lined with cheap and delicious eateries and there is a contagious relaxed vibe. The town has a perfect balance of chilled locals, domestic holiday goers and short and long term tourists. I managed to make some really good mates at my hostel - as there was a crew of travelers living or working there for than 2 or so months.





My daily routine would consist of getting up before dawn, smashing a quick breaky with another teacher who worked in Trujillo at a different school, walk out to the beach and hail a Trujillo bound convi (converted vans with psycho drivers that end up like sardine tins full of people). I got pretty used to the weaving, sudden slamming of breaks and near misses to the point where I actually sometimes drifted off on the way in. I would then jump of, pay around 40 cents for a freshly squeezed orange juice - where they use the old level presses, then head into the school grounds.
$1.80
View from the church on the hill


View from the roof at Mcallums
I had hundreds of encounters with everyday working Peruvians in Trujillo ( the 3rd largest city in Peru and a lot less touristy then Huanchaco, and I was always impressed by their friendliness. I witnessed a lot of grinding poverty and unfairness - though by and large the people seemed to be impressively spirited and well- natured.

Roxana -one of the teachers I worked with

Catching the bus back from school
My favorite wave in Huanchaco - mind surf away...


At first it was pretty intimidating being the only gringo surrounded by all the high school kids though by the end I was swaggering confidently from class to class giving the slap and pound to kids cruising by. The classes became easier and easier and I could teach classes that were fun and improvise by pretty much acting and making them laugh (while making sure they were learning something too).



Groms



The street I walk down to go to work - surf - eat...

Another epic Huanchaco sunset
In the early afternoons I would jump off the bus and step straight into my special secret lunch spot. For 5 soles ($1.80) I would eat Ceviche for an entre, Lomo Saltado for a main and a big class of passion and pine juice - epic! Then I would have the whole afternoon (it never was blown out once!) to surf and hangout with the lads. I also have to give Mcallums 2 a mention, such a cool hostel, great people and the best place to have a siesta in the hammocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment