Monday, November 22, 2010







Today is our last day at the orphanage and I can´t help but reflect on the incredible time we´ve had here. We have had so many challenging, inspiring, funny and moving moments with these kids - it will be sad to leave them.
Before deciding to work here, I thought ¨man that´s a month I could be surfing perfect Barra - and I´m not getting paid!¨. However the month went pretty quickly and I got to know the real kids from the real Central America and Mexico - and the stories we heard on a daily basis blew my mind! It was a life changing experience and we can leave knowing that we made a difference and really gave something back to those less fortunate. I also have to praise the work of Pam and Allan Skuse, aka Mamma y Pappa. They have built this impressive refuge up from the dirt and battled though 10 years of various hardships - curruption, cultural adjustment and emotional dramas to literrally save kids lives. Even with the help of the volenteers - they work flat out everyday parenting 58 kids and still remain positive and enthusiastic. Their ultimate goal seems to be nothing more than providing opportunity and hope for their children - it´s really inspiring. I believe if every surfer did something small on their trips for the local communites, I think it would make a huge impression. So if your in the neighbourhood, somewhere near Tapachula, come by for a month or so - it will open your eyes and change your life...Gratias niños, mucho gusto y hasta luego!!!
Next stop - Playa Mizata - El Salvador...
Audios Mission Mexico - see you next year (maybe)!

No comments:

Post a Comment