Saturday, November 5, 2011

SUMATRA

( My humble abode...)
YEEEEW - I've finally made it to the mystical Sumatra!!!
After touching down in Jakarta I cruised out of the airport with a massive smile on my face and jumped straight into a taxi headed for Bills place. Despite crawling through traffic for 3 hours - I was still frothing and as soon as I arrived we downed a cocktail and hit the town. We had an epic night out in Jakarta with a perfect 'Stadium' ending before speeding back home and jumping straight in another cab to the domestic airport. Weaving through traffic dodging rickshaws, trucks, fruit carts, scooters and other sorts of strange makeshift vehicles - I just made check - in then casually strolled through straight onto the dodgy little Sumatra bound aircraft.

Sunset lefts welcoming me out the front
Touching down I really felt the adventure unfolding around of me. The airport is surrounded by volcanic mountains, the air is thick and tropical and I feel like the only 'bule" within 100s of kilometers. I dragged my boards through the tiny airport and haggled a driver to get me to the bus terminal. Whilst speaking Indonesian to some Sumatran university students on the plane and then to the taxi driver from the airport - it was like a part of my brain was re-activated and all of the sudden I could speak Indo again! I was really stoked because after learning Spanish - I could barely string a sentence together - though now - I feel almost fluent again.



By the time I got to the bus terminal I felt like a zombie and was looking forward to sleeping the 7 hour trip to Krui - but I really shouldn't have got my hopes up... The bus had NO suspension and everytime we hit a big pot hole or wash out - I was thrown into the window bars , rudely awaking me - fortifying my hangover and giving me another egg. The trip dragged on and on until all of a sudden I woke up on my seatmates shoulder looking out through palm trees into a glassy ocean with fun empty waves blessing the shore...The old conductor tapped me and said " Kamu turun di sini mas!" (You get off here mate!)...Paradise...


No comments:

Post a Comment